What is the purpose of this notice?
The owner of this website and a “data controller” in respect of it is Jackson Osborne Ltd (company number 8087592) trading as Laworfiction. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. This Privacy Notice is provided because you are using our website. It makes you aware of how and why your personal data will be used and how long it will usually be retained for. It provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR).
Data protection principles
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
The kind of information we hold about you
If you correspond with us via this website or via email or any link promoted on this website we will collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information about you:
- Information provided to us in any communication
- Information provided such as including name, title, address, telephone number, personal email address, date of birth, gender, occupation etc
Through your communications with us we may also collect, store and use the following types of more sensitive personal information:
- Information about your race or ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation and political opinions
- Information about your health, including any medical condition, health and sickness records
- Information about your work or circumstances in connection with any legal claims or concerns we may consider for you
How is your personal information collected?
We may collect personal information about you from the following sources:
- Surveys you may complete for us
- Third parties involved in relation to any legal claims or concerns we may consider for you
- Publicly accessible sources, such as social networking websites where information is shared without restriction or where you have given permission for sharing with us
How we will use information about you
We may use the personal information we collect about you :
- to comply with legal or regulatory requirements
- to check qualifications or background when assessing contributions from you
- for record-keeping for the proper and necessary administration of our organisation
- protecting your interests if we consider we have a duty to do so
- responding to unsolicited communication from you to which we believe you would expect a response
- protecting and asserting the legal rights of any party
- insurance or professional advice for the organisation
- for understanding needs of visitors to the site with a view to increasing its value to the public
Sharing your contact details for common benefit
We may share your name and contact details with third parties offering subscription services advertised through laworfiction.com. Such third party shall not be permitted to share, sell or otherwise use your details except in offering or providing you such services or similar services themselves or by their successors or assigns.
How we use particularly sensitive personal information
We will use your particularly sensitive personal information in the following ways:
- in considering or pursuing to any legal claims or concerns for you
- we will use information provided about disability status to consider whether we need to provide appropriate adjustments in communications with you.
- we may use information about your race or national or ethnic origin, religious, philosophical or moral beliefs, or your sexual life or sexual orientation, to ensure meaningful equal opportunity monitoring and reporting if required.
When posting information yourself or providing information that where there may be reasonable expectation that it may be published on the website, it is up to satisfy yourself about the privacy level of every person who might use it.
We may store all information provided and reserve a right to use it in the future in any way we decide unless we have specifically agreed otherwise in writing
After your information enters the public domain, we have no control over what any third party may do with it. We cannot accept responsibility for actions of any third party at any time.
Based on our legitimate interest we may provide you with information about products and services provided by Laworfiction, and other information which we think you may find interesting. We may send you such information by e-mail unless you have asked us not to do so.
If at any time you do not want your information used for direct marketing purposes or decide that you not wish to receive marketing e-mails from us, please contact us at email@example.com.
Why might you share my personal information with third parties?
Apart from publishing on the website, if we need to share your personal information with third parties, all are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your personal information in line with our policies. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes. We only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need-to-know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
How long will you use my information for?
We will retain your personal information for such period as we consider relevant to the interests of visitors or potential visitors to the website and maintaining resources available to them. Otherwise we may do so to provide you with the services you have requested, to comply with law including for any period demanded by our tax authorities, or to support a claim or defence in any court or tribunal.
Your rights in connection with personal information
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact us in writing.
Right to withdraw consent
You have the right to withdraw your consent for processing of your personal information at any time. To withdraw your consent, please let us know in writing. Thereafter we will no longer process your application and, subject to our retention policy, we will dispose of your personal data securely.
Cookies are text files that are placed on your computer by your web browser when you visit any website. They allow a website to provide you with a personalised experience and the website owner with information about how you use the website so it can be improved.
- to track how you use our website
- to record whether you have seen specific messages we display on our website
- to keep you signed in our site
- to record your answers to surveys and questionnaires on our site while you complete them
- to record the conversation thread during a live chat with our support team
Last reviewed March 2021